When investigating the damage that plastics can have on turtles then PlasticOceans.uk is a great resource. This infographic Plastic and Turtles summarises some hard-hitting data. Here are some of the points it makes.
- There are seven species of turtle and all of them are known to ingest plastic.
- All seven species of turtles have shown signs of entanglement in plastic.
- Hatchlings can get entangled in plastic on the way from the beach to ocean meaning they don’t even get a chance.
- Turtles can hurt themselves really badly when entangling in plastic and amputations can be a result.
- It can take 6 months for a piece of plastic sheet sized 10 x 10 cm to work through the digestive system of a turtle.
- Ingesting a single piece of plastic will increase a turtles chance of death by 22%.